Tuesday, October 30, 2012

New York

I was in NY for a conference Thursday-Sunday. The conference actually ended on Saturday at around 11:30am. Some of my wonderful, awesome, dear, sweet friends contributed as a little (actually big) birthday present so that I could stay an extra night in the city! I am so glad they did. I will always remember this trip. Thanks so much, guys (if you read)!
I recall Central Park in the fall

On my way to the American Natural History Museum

I got in on Thursday. They had the conference attendees staying at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. It was pretty amazing walking into the square for the first time in years. The last time I was in NYC was when I was 18, and things have changed quite a bit since then.

I had a little camera trouble, so I spent some time Thursday walking around looking for Best Buy. It was nice, though, because a walk in NYC is pretty exciting. I then took the subway and met Elizabeth and her friend, Eric, at The Todd English Food Hall under The Plaza Hotel. Eloise! How much I loved that book when I was a kid;) The Food Hall was great. There were all types of foods, and then there were several bakeries, coffee bars, tea rooms, etc. We had dinner, and then we strolled back to my hotel. Elizabeth and Eric had a party to go to, and I enjoyed my quiet time in my room, reading.

Friday I got up early for my conference. We met all day, but at 4:30, I was set free! I did some walking and then remembered that Elizabeth had said Friday nights are free at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). I decided to go. It was AMAZING. I had the greatest time in the many exhibits. I was there until around 8:30. I had dinner outside at a sidewalk cafe and met this awesome Australian mother/daughter pair. We chatted for a while, and then I headed back to my hotel for bed.

Saturday the conference got out at 11:30. I decided to explore Central Park, and then I went to the American Natural History Museum. It was incredible. I then met up with Elizabeth at my hotel. We went to City Bakery near Union Square and had the most delicious hot chocolate with one giant homemade marshmallow in the middle. We strolled around Union Square for a minute and then had dinner at this Irish pub/cafe called Lillies. It was pretty tasty - Shepherd's Pie and oatmeal stout beer. While waiting we listened to the live Irish music and the conversations of the Irish men gathered around the bar. We headed to Strand bookstore. I wish I hadn't been quite so exhausted at that point. I didn't end up purchasing any books. After that we had one last stop at PJ Clark's for a beer. By then we were both exhausted, so we headed back to the hotel, and Elizabeth stayed with me.

Sunday I got up, and went out into Times Square to take a few pictures before I left. I didn't really take many pictures at all b/c there was this eery quiet out there. I immediately went back to my room, got my things, and headed to the airport. Good thing. It was a mess at the airport due to Hurricane Sandy. I almost missed my flight due to the long lines at the counter and security. Had I missed my flight, I would've been stuck in the worst storm in history for that part of the country without any ability to get anywhere since all public transportation was sort of shut down. I am so glad that I made it home. Now hoping everyone there from the conference, and especially Elizabeth, is safe and dry.

Unfortunately, I have run out of room on Blogger! I am trying to get more space, but it kept giving me technical difficulty messages, so I'm not sure how that will work. I knew this day was coming;) So I will have to figure that out before I can post any more pictures here. Hopefully it won't be too long.


No comments: